Farm Fresh Goodness Close to Home
For more information, call 439-7213
The Mt Laurel Farm School is a 25 acre organic, neighborhood farm, located only 1.5 miles down the road from the center of town. With over 75 different crops growing throughout the year, there are always delicious surprises waiting for you at the Farm Stand, open from 10 to 4 daily.
In the spring, you'll discover lettuces, radishes, beets, carrots and potatoes. The summer brings tomatoes, fresh herbs, peppers, eggplants, sunflowers, squash and 2 acres of fresh blueberries. And the fall harvest includes cabbage, broccoli, and winter squash.
Whether you are walking down the road to pick up fresh produce for dinner, or enjoying seasonal vegetables in one of the many restaurants located in town, the Mt laurel Farm School is a truly remarkable amenity that few towns can boast. In addition to providing healthier lifestyle choices, the Mt Laurel Farm School works in partnership with Jones Valley Urban Farm to positively influence the community through hands-on science education, food policy advocacy and community outreach programs.
Mt Laurel Farm School partnered with JVUF in 2009 and is pleased to be working with JVUF to fulfill their mission of helping Birmingham grow healthy communities through urban farming and education.
JVUF is a non-profit organization committed to promoting sustainable agriculture and healthy eating. Established in 2002, JVUF has become a community wide source for local organic produce, hands-on science education and food policy advocacy.
Community Outreach Education Programs Include:
- The Arts & Science of Agriculture - an accredited high school course in conjunction with the Alabama School of Fine Arts.
- Seed2Plate - a K-8th grade nutritional education field trip program including growing, knowing, cooking, and eating healthy foods.
- High School & College Internships - summer and year-round farm production work for targeted academic research and community education
- Growing Together - A technical training course for communities interested in starting community gardens and urban farms
- Delicious / Nutritious - A training program for institutional cooks to increase their knowledge and use of fresh local produce in student meals
JVUF provides individually scheduled education programs for groups of children or adults on a daily basis. Please visit www.jvuf.org to see program offerings, to request a program for your group, or to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
Mt Laurel Farm School
1185 Dunnavant Valley Road
Birmingham, AL 35242